Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Review - "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I have read many quotes by Bonhoeffer, and many people have quoted him and spoke of his amazing life.

A true disciple of Jesus if there was one in our modern age.  I highly recommend just finding out about the man, let alone reading "The Cost of Discipleship."

TCD is a challenging book.  Not because it's hard to read, or understand, but because it does just that - it's challenges.

If you've ever admitted that you "fall short" of the glory of God this book will show you more.

Yes, at times you will feel "guilty" and "convicted" but at the same time, you get a clearer, more direct, more honest look at your own walk with Christ - and how much we are not only falling short with God, but ourselves!

With Jesus, yes, we have great responsibility, but what a responsibility it is!  Truly, the cost of discipleship is high, but the rewards are even higher (and I'm not just talking about heaven).

Bonhoeffer doesn't pull any punches and gives insight to the Sermon on the Mount that perhaps you might not have heard - I know I hadn't.

It's a quick read, but don't let that fool you, it's a deep one as well.

This was the first book, or any writings for that matter, by Bonhoeffer I have read - I will certainly read more!

1 comment: