Monday, July 19, 2010

What Would Jesus Do? Don't ask me...

It was a catchy phrase, and it did get you to think...but that's the extent of the phrases usefulness.  I wasn't much of a fan of it from the start, because I didn't know the answer.

What would Jesus do...when?

In what circumstance?

Is there only one answer?  Is there just a set of stuff that Jesus would, will, only do?

Why not: "What wouldn't Jesus Do?"

Do you know?

Not me.  And I don't dare guess.

All I know is what He DID, for others, for me...beyond that...well...

Sure, it's a catchy phrase and it gets us to think and discuss...but there's a danger in thinking that there ONLY one answer to any given situation.

Perhaps the question is better asked: What would Jesus want YOU to do?

Now THAT makes it personal and on my shoulders...and if you're like me, I really don't want that...yet, that is what's expected...

I am to take on some of those responsibilities that I don't want to...I want my comfort, I want my predictable, I want my safe!

But that's not where Jesus went.

Don't get me wrong, safe isn't bad...but to grow in faith, in life, we need to get uncomfortable sometimes, we need to trust Jesus more.  Being safe...doesn't require much faith and trust in Jesus.

God called people out of their comfort zones throughout all the pages of the Bible...and the people we read about in the Bible are the ones that took those steps, stretched and even challenged their faith.

Each day I ask to have courage to do more and more of that...somedays I feel on fire like I would do ANYTHING God asked of me....other days, most days, including today...I want to be safe, stay safe and wish God would find someone else.

So What Would Jesus Do?

I don't know, but if you ask him...you might not be a huge fan of his answer, yet again, it might be just what you need to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment