Friday, October 15, 2010

Even I can follow Jesus...

Okay, I've been jonesin' since I've started my second week of a sermon fast...but this popped into my head the other day.

I hear a lot of sermons talking to people about even THEY can follow and be saved by Jesus.  Yes THEY the ugly, stinking, wretched sinner they are...

Hmmm...yep, we will accept even them!

I think that message is a bit screwy...

For one, at least for me, it makes it sound as if we are better than them...which of course, we are not.  But it also, points out there flaws and completely ignore ours...as if when you follow Jesus, you no longer sin or are selfish and yes, become "better."

For me, I guess I would tell people that even someone like ME can follow Jesus...and if I'm allowed to, they sure as heck can too - just as they are, no change required!

I'll even let you go ahead of me!

God accepts me flaws and all - and I have some deep flaws!

I think that's what Paul was trying to get at when he called himself the greatest of sinners - he really wasn't claiming that title, but he was pointing out that God used even him to great things.

Paul was saying, "Even I can be used by Jesus. And if I can be used for great things, just imagine what you could do!"

A much more positive message, in my humble point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment