Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Slacktivism, don't fall for it!

I usually hate buzz words and catchphrases, but I do like: Slacktivism.

According to Wikipedia "Slacktivism (sometimes slactivism) is a portmanteau formed out of the words slacker and activism. The word is considered a pejorative term that describes "feel-good" measures, in support of an issue or social cause, that have little or no practical effect other than to make the person doing it feel satisfaction."

Examples of slacktivism include (but not limited to) internet petitions, joining Facebook groups, altering one's avatar to "raise awareness" of an issue...etc.

In other words, no REAL action is taken...nothing is really accomplished - except a self pat on the back.

Slacktivism, sadly, is a growing trend.

To make a change, to make a difference REAL ACTION is needed.  Good for us, not much effort is needed in some cases!

A donation, a letter, a minute of time, an ear, anything.

All real changes were made through action...just imagine if Martin Luther King, Jr. just wore a ribbon.  If Ghandi only signed "internet" petitions or changed his FB avatar.

Or if Jesus just walked around with a "Peace and Love" t-shirt.

Hey, I'm not immune - heck I wear a cross - which does nothing for no one but me (and sometimes not even me). It has not fed the hungry, housed the homeless, nor brought Christ to someone (as far as I know) but I wear it nonetheless...

So, I'm not suggesting we outright rid ourselves of slacktivism - it may (in the rarest occurrences) raise awareness to someone who's never heard of said issue and inspire them to do something, which might be reason enough - but let's not let it replace any real work, action, or effort to make a difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment