Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thank God the Church is full of hypocrites!

One argument against "church" is that it is full of hypocrites, liars, and two-faced people...and to that I say:

"THANK GOD!  I'll fit right in!"

If I believed for a moment that any given church was full of Saints, I wouldn't darken their doorstep.

I know, I know, there are some churches that give the appearance that all their folks are saintly and do no wrong, but don't fault them for that...do you like to flaunt your faults?

Neither do I.

No, churches shouldn't necessarily highlight their faults, but they shouldn't ignore the fact that they have them either.  Transparency is good - I think Jesus said something like that once.

Nor should a church degrade and harass folks for their faults - it is not the church's role to "change" people.  Let God work with them.

The church should be, and mostly is, welcoming...If a church says All are Welcome - I hope they mean it.  And I must say - many of the churches I have visited have been very welcoming.

Yes, we can all point out a bad church experience, but we all know better than to compare all churches by just one experience.

The folks inside the church doors (even the pastor) are just like us!  They ARE hypocrites, they ARE liars and thieves and adulterers and on and on and on....

We are in good company!

No comments:

Post a Comment