Thursday, October 10, 2013

Blessings vs. Misfortunes

A thought popped into my head the other day: what does it mean to be "less fortunate" vs. what does it mean to be "blessed?"

Perhaps it's a bit unclear what this thought is about, but it was profound to me at the time.

People, myself included, have used the phrase: I have been blessed with/to/for ___(fill in the blank here)_____.

And, no doubt, we have said (I know I have said this) there are "those less fortunate than us."

Funny, we don't call them less blessed.

With The Juniper Project, I'm sure I've said something to the effect that we are "helping those less fortunate."

Though now, I simply say: those in need.

But we don't call them less blessed.

Why not?

If we consider being in a better financial position (where we are able to help others in addition to providing for ourselves) a blessing, why is it only "misfortune" and not a "lack of blessings" that is the opposite?

I've heard it taught that God blesses people with money so that they can do great things with it.  And not just money, but talent, fame, skill, etc...

So those less fortunate...did they miss out?  Were they not blessed with something, anything? Or did misfortune TRUMP God's blessings to them?

Or (and this is what I think) is it that we have a skewed vision of what a blessing truly is.

Am I blessed to have my house?

Well, when I am elbow deep in sewer back up in my basement it doesn't feel so, but others would say I was.

Am I blessed to have other "things" in my life?

Depends on our view and vision.

Did God really mean for me to have such "things" as a blessing to me?

I'm having a harder time recently thinking so.

Back when I gave that guy on the corner $20.00 it was about detaching...not about hoping or a promise that I would be blessed with MORE money.  It was about not putting money so high in my life - not that I chased the almighty dollar my entire life.  Not many people get rich in my field of work.

So what really is a blessing?

I'm not sure I know anymore, if I even thought I knew at some time.  However, just off the top of my head, I'm reminded that in the Bible PEOPLE were blessings and did bless - sometimes through THINGS, yes, but it was PEOPLE doing it to other people.

God did his fair share, and still does, but are we recognizing true blessings from just accumulation and purchase power?

I bought my iPhone...was I really blessed with it?  I don't think so, but I CAN bless people with it in numerous ways.

That isn't to say that iPhones are blessings.

But as we know from experience and from the Bible, God can make good out of anything.  And that TRULY is a blessing.

What I'm trying to say is this: BECAUSE we have more (things, money, etc.) than someone else doesn't mean we are necessarily BLESSED with those things or to have them.  In most cases I would say were aren't.  Especially if we aren't willing to say that someone who doesn't posses them isn't "less blessed."

Certainly sin didn't keep them from such blessings, as I am "blessed" with things and have sinned much in my life - and will til the day I die! We all will!  If sin was the issue, why did I fare better with my sins vs. their sins?

I'm not saying that having what we do is bad - it's not.  God doesn't say we can't have things.  However, if we put those things first and foremost in our life and actually think we DESERVE them...then that's where we are crossing a line.

We can be thankful and grateful for what we have and we should be BECAUSE we don't deserve ANY of it.

In the end, I'm not sure I still have a great notion of what a blessing is - but I know it's not something we physically have...it's what we spiritually give and receive from each other.  And maybe that's what a blessing is: something that "blesses" our souls...not our physical needs...but our spiritual needs.

That makes more sense to me...and thus someone with LESS than me, can have far more BLESSINGS...certainly they might be open for it more than I am...

No comments:

Post a Comment