Saturday, October 19, 2013

But what am I doing?

There are times when I wonder if I make a difference in this world at all.

Sure, I work with a group of people and do a monthly serving to those in need.  We provide food, clothing, care kits, etc...

When I remember to do so, I hand out McDonald's gift cards to those on the corner flying the sign.  Or 20 bucks, which I was called to do recently.

But is that all I can do?

Short answer is: no.

But there's a difference of what we can/should and are called to do.  We can all do the SAME thing, but that doesn't mean we are supposed to.  We are all called to something, and not always is that "something" the same as what others are doing.

The group of people that I work with that do a monthly serving to those in need - that's what we are currently called to do. Maybe this is all we will be called to do, I don't know.  Maybe we will expand or grow in ways I can't foresee right now, but we know what we can do RIGHT NOW.

So what are we doing?

A couple things.

While we aren't "religious," that is while most of us are Christian that has never been criteria for what we do or people to help what we do, we are Christian.  We are trying to love as Jesus loves.  All who come to us get help, that we can provide.

We aren't the best at what we do, there are other organizations that do what we do better...but that's okay and that should spur others on.  Anyone can share God's love in any number of ways.  If we can, you can.

And sure, some days, you'll think "what am I doing?" because you won't see what you have done or know that you have really made a difference.  But when you need it most, God will show you what exactly you are doing.

And no, not everyone you meet will be on the same page as you.  And that's fine.  God will find a way to use them too, if they are willing.

Honestly, I just want people to know - if you feel a passion toward something that you want to do: do it.  God is with you in it.  It might not be big or get noticed.  We aren't and haven't and we have served for over three years!

But God notices and those whom we help notice too!

Some servings go better than others...but we never regret doing it.

So what are we doing?

We are loving...as best we can.

Can we do better?  Of course!  But that's part of why we keep doing what we do...to learn to love how Jesus loves.

No, we won't always see or know if we have made any impact...but when we truly need to know we will.  Trust me.

So what can you do?  You know it already.  God's told you.  Just trust him and follow it.  It might not be World Vision (we aren't!) but it will impact someone and that is the truth.

Take care,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment