Sunday, December 13, 2009

Are you a Grinch?

How The Grinch Stole Christmas
by Dr. Suess


Every Who Down in Who-villeLiked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch,Who lived just North of Who-ville,Did NOT!


The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be that his head wasn't screwed on quite right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.

But,Whatever the reason,His heart or his shoes,
He stood there on Christmas Eve, hating the Whos,
Staring down from his cave with a sour, Grinchy frown
At the warm lighted windows below in their town.
For he knew every Who down in Who-ville beneath
Was busy now, hanging a mistleoe wreath.

"And they're hanging their stockings!" he snarled with a sneer.
"Tomorrow is Christmas! It's practically here!"
Then he growled, with his grinch fingers nervously drumming,
"I MUST find a way to keep Christmas from coming!"

For, tomorrow, he knew...

...All the Who girls and boys
would wake up bright and early. They'd rush for their toys!
And then! Oh, the noise!
Oh, the noise! Noise! Noise! Noise!
That's one thing he hated! The NOISE! NOISE! NOISE! NOISE!


Who doesn't love this story?

While I bet that few of us would claim, or admit that we are a Grinch, I know at times I can be "Grinchy."

Yesterday I was a bit Grinchy, saying Grinchy things at the other drivers: as clearly their minds weren't on driving.

It's during this time, that I usually refrain from going to malls. I used to love going to the malls because they were all decorated up and music was piped in and there was a feeling of Christmas. I didn't care if I was buying something or not, there was a just a feeling to GIVE that came over me, to make others happy.

Now? Now, there are moments, I just want to hole up and wait for this thing to blow over.
Where has that feeling gone?

As we get older physically do we need to get older mentally?

Jesus didn't think so.
In Matthew 18:3 he tells us we should stay like children spiritually.

Yes, things can be overbearing. NOISE NOISE NOISE!

But it isn't the NOISE that's getting to us, it's that we are an "adult." I would argue that being an adult during Christmas is the same as being The Grinch.

2 comments:

  1. I think as adults we lose the ability to filter the NOISE, tuning out the bad while still thoroughly enjoying the good. We call it all NOISE NOISE NOISE - just like a grinch! (Kids are much smarter than that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ. I can still go to the mall and get that wonderful Christmas feel. The noise doesn't bother me~ half the time I don't even notice it. The crowds only get to me when you're crammed in like sardines and can't move anywhere~ but that's a rare occasion.

    Yes, as adults we can lose sight of what Christmas is about, but overall, I tend to love this season.

    I surround myself with Christmas music, I have the tree lit 24/7, I love all the holiday movies on tv and in the theater, driving around looking at Christmas lights etc etc. I love it!

    It's when I try too hard that I can get crabby. Trying to figure out the perfect gift, trying to bake Christmas goodies when I KNOW I'm not a baker, stressing about the dreaded Christmas budget, so that's when I step back and refocus. I put a new cd in, grab a coffee from Caribou or Starbucks or just sit and stare at the tree.....just my two cents! :D

    ReplyDelete