Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Of" vs. "In"

I truly do not like to discuss these finer points of the Bible, as I myself have no clue about the Greek and translations, etc...but this something came to my attention yesterday and well, I thought I would share it...

I myself have several Bibles (different versions: NKJV, NIV, NLT, Good News Bible, and a Children's Bible, American Standard [which I call a "thumper" because it looks like one you'd thump people with or exorcise demons with], the "Unvarnished Gospels" and "Sacred Documents" [including apocrypha] and I think that's it)

Anyway, I have read these (not all of them in their entirety) but at several times for several reasons...

I know there are varying translations of texts and there are valid arguments regarding these translations, yet most really DON'T change much, just give a different perspective.

Until...

I heard on a program by Pastor Ron Knight of Twin Cities Grace Fellowship Church yesterday about versions of the Bible and how he believes that the King James is the "true word of God." and that the others are "wrong" or (in my words) fall short as they demean the divinity, and faith, of Jesus.

Now comes the messy part: His reasoning is because of Galatians 2:16.

The word "of" is the messy part. ...but by the faith OF Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ

Other translations say: ...but by the faith IN Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ.

(Caps and Color mine)

Pastor Knight points out that this "subtle" difference is huge as Jesus' faith is more important than ours.

I can see that point.

If our justification and salvation was hinging upon our faith, well our faith wavers, falters, is not perfect...hence our justification and salvation would be "imperfect" as well.

Yet, Jesus' faith WAS perfect. It was his faith in what God's plan was that he submitted to the death on the cross for us. Faith that God would do what God promised and planned to do.

Jesus was perfect in every way ESPECIALLY in his faith.

Without HIS faith, well...what would be the point?

Jesus fulfilled the mandate by God, not us. Certainly not OUR faith. Yes, we have faith IN Jesus as well, but OUR FAITH can't justify us either as our faith is not perfect. Jesus' faith, however, is.

For without Jesus' faith, our faith is worthless.

At least that's what I understand his argument to be. Again, I can see his point, and it makes sense.

Here's another area to look at the translation issue if you'd like: Galatians Translation Issue
(you can do a google search as well, if you'd really like to get into some murky water)

I don't usually get caught up in such things, but this does seem to me to be a fairly big issue regarding translations. It certainly IS a can of worms that I don't believe I am qualified to really open, so I'm just taking a peek at it here.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. There is a big distinction there.

    And I have heard of others who feel that the King James is the only true version. I suppose a person should always read the King James - even if using another version. Read both for comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to study the book of James and I'm going to use the King James version as my primary version. I think we've been conditioned to dismiss the KJ as old fashioned or out dated - when really it might be the only really true Word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the Mormons believe the KJV is the only true version. Their reasoning being once you start translating the bible in different versions it starts losing it's true meaning. It gives people wiggle room and/or liberties to twist the bible the way they see fit and not the way God actually intended. Just had to share! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I don't actually have a KJ, but a New King James - which actually, has "in" as well.

    Well, off to the thrift store!

    Like the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    ReplyDelete