Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ask and you shall receive...Book 1

So, I've been praying for some "direction" here. Some guidance,if you will, and well if God doesn't find a way.

This time, he has through two books found at savers - both for .99!

One is called "The Unvarnished Gospels."

This one is very interesting in that it's the four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. BUT it's translated from the original Greek to reflect more EXACT how the Gospels were actually written.

Or, as the back cover states, "Let the original Greek speak for itself."

How is that different from the Bible? Isn't the New Testament in my Bible a translation from the Greek?

Well, yes, but as George Witterchein points out in the introduction, our Bibles are "accepted" translations of the Greek. Which arose AFTER the Gospels were written. In short, the Bibles we read are "Christianized" versions of the Greek. AFTER input from Luther, Rahner, St. Augustine. etc.

So, I have started reading it, as I was starting the New Testament over again...I figured I'd give this one a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment