Monday, November 2, 2009

Way of the Master: book review...

Way of the Master – book review

Quickly, if you don’t know Way of the Master (Now known as Wretched Radio) it’s the deal that Kirk Cameron made famous by signing onto it – though the brainchild behind it is Ray Comfort. (He kind of lucked out with the name, didn’t he?)

Truly, I thought that I would be…angry and upset at what they were “preaching” but I wasn’t.

Oh, I didn’t agree with everything in the book, I did agree with more than I thought I would.

For one, they too are a concerned about the “health and wealth” preaching that has been going on…at the time this book was published (my copy) was the beginning of Osteen and others rise…though they are never mentioned by name.

They too, believe that to truly understand Christ’s death on the cross, we must understand the Law…I agree there – but from there we separate, as they are part of the “you suck” camp.

By “You suck” I mean that they teach that we are all filthy, rotten, wretched people…in essence “we suck.” Even more, they believe THAT is how God sees us as well.

So, they teach the Law, in how suck we are and then the Grace given to us.

I used to disagree with their methodology, but then as the Better Half pointed out, perhaps some people need to hear THAT message…so, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense…some people need to hear that THEY SUCK…that is what is going to resonate with them.

I have other issues with them, but that might be for another time…one thing that did stick out to me, and I notice this about A LOT of books, was the lack of reference to Satan.

Yeah, I know, one feels weird even saying the name…I do, I like “the enemy” better. Satan sounds soooo…childish.

Oh, they talked about Satan trying to “sabotage” some of their efforts to preach, but not once did they talk about Satan and his trying to sabotage us into sinning (just like he did in the garden.) Sadly, that message escapes the pulpit too.

Anyway, not completely a tough book to read…certainly a thinker. I wouldn’t pay full price for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment