Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Friendship With God" - Final thoughts

Okay, so I have pretty much gone through the book twice...I did skim a bit the second time around, but I got the gist of what Walsch was trying to say, or at least a better idea. Given that, I have a pretty good idea, now, why he gets the flack he does from Christian groups, etc.

The ultimate point of FWG is to bring to light the "New Gospel."

So what is the "New Gospel?"

"...There is no master race. There is no greatest nation. There is no one true religion. There is no inherently perfect philosophy. There is no always right political party, morally supreme economic system, or one and only way to Heaven....Only one truth will save you: WE ARE ALL ONE."

Just before this "God" says, "There are a thousands paths to God, and every one gets you there."

"God" also says, there is no BETTER way, only ANOTHER way.

The New Gospel...yeah, I can see how that got him into some hot water with some folks...

There is a lot of talk about love, in the book. God's love and how we think that it manifests itself.

"You have been taught of a God who is jealous, who has enormous expectations, and who is so needy that if His love for you is unrequited, He'll punish you with everlasting damnation."

Thus this God we have been taught this about, has worked out a deal: "...if you love Me, I'll let you into heaven. If you don't love me, I won't."

That last part, really kind of hits home to me.

Isn't that what we are told? Believe in Jesus, LOVE Jesus, love God, and you will get into heaven.

God loves us soooooo much, that he's willing to make a deal with us.

Now, that may be how WE love each other.

Our love may have expectations - but does love? Do you love someone because of what you can get, expect, and bargain for with them?

As a parent, do you love your child(ren) so much you can't think of anything they could do that would cause them to lose your love?

Walsch's "God" also says, "You imagine that I am a God who has needs - among them, the need to have you love me. (Now, some of your churches have sought to describe this as not having a need for you r love, but merely a desire for it."

Yep, I've heard that...God wants us to love him, trust him, God desires a relationship with him...yet -

(Here's comes the interesting point.)

"Yet is a "desire" not a "need" if I am willing to torture you for all eternity if I don't get it."

And...

"You have been told...I will not accept your love in any way, shape, or form than that in which I demand it."

And finally, (here, not in the book) "God" talks about freedom of loving him or not. I can't find the exact quotes, when I do, I'll put them in.

In essence, God says that true love and GIVING freedom means there is no consequence. Thus, if we do not love him, or accept Jesus, we are condemned to hell, that doesn't make us "free" to choose but only "able" to choose.

Certainly there are some interesting things to ponder.

Do I think God spoke to Walsch?
I don't think he's crazy and I don't think it's satan.
So that leaves: yes or no.
and if it's no: is he lying?
Well, it's at the very least a thought provoking lie.

Yes?

Heck, I did my own "God Chats" and well...

No comments:

Post a Comment