Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Friendship With God - Done.

I finished Friendship with God yesterday.

A few thoughts: an interesting read. "God" said quite a bit of thought provoking things. I am going to go through it one more time. I have found by reading a book that is thought provoking at least twice through (back to back) the information gels together better and a clearer understanding of the author's intent is attained.

That said, perhaps I can address (in part) the issue of whether or not Walsch's book is actually God speaking to him, through him, as Walsch claims and "believes." (I do not know the man, so I have no idea about what he truly believes or not.)

For now, this is what I will say.

Walsch is either:
1. Telling the truth - God really did speak to him and have him write these books.
2. Lying - God never spoke to him, these are just his writings and thoughts only, there was no divine involvement.
3. Crazy - Walsch believes God is talking to him, but it's really the voice in his head that he interprets as God.
4. Mistaken - It isn't God that's talking to him, but Satan posing as God.

Maybe there's more, but those are the four I can come up with now.

I can, with certainty, address number 3.

No. Walsch isn't "crazy" or mentally ill - at least not in respects to the books. Folks with mental illness that "hear" God's voice (or other voices for that matter) don't do so in such an organized manner. I could get into further description here, but you'll have to take my word for it. The thought process (that is evident in the book) is not a reflection of mental illness. Without divulging too much - yes, I do have experience working with people with mental illnesses. While I am not a doctor, I am very familiar with the behaviors of folks with mental illness. Especially on a day-to-day basis and daily living.

So, that leaves us with: God is talking to Walsch, Satan is talked to Walsch, or Walsch is lying.

I will reserve my own judgement until I am finished reading the book the second time through.

As always, thoughts are welcome...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! Will be waiting to hear your thoughts after you've read it a second time.

    ReplyDelete