Friday, October 23, 2009

Ortberg's (not Ortenberg) "Everybody's Normal..."

I highly recommend this book.

It's not a secret that I like this man's writing. He is clever, and thought provoking. What I like too, is that he has great insight into how we, as humans, as "children of God", act, think, and behave.

This book is about our want of community, of belonging. About how, even now, if someone is "different" in any way from our so-called "group" that we usually don't let them in.

Also, that as individuals, we strive to be apart of something, something bigger than ourselves.

What I really liked was that he too, like Eldredge, talked about "fellowships." Especially that fellowships need not be big. But it does need to be transparent, and open, and patient, and loving...

To this day, we still believe BIGGER is BETTER. (same as we believe complicated is better too)

Funny, though, that some of his thoughts come from his, as he is a teaching pastor at Willow Creek - a church much like Eaglebrook.

Anyway, if you happen across it, read it. It's a quick read and well worth the small amount of time it will take - there are worse books out there, my shelf can attest to it.

2 comments:

  1. I read his book: "If you want to walk on water you have to get out of the boat" - and I thought it was excellent. Will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a book I haven't liked by him yet - and I always seemed to find another one that I'm looking for at Half Price...

    ReplyDelete